OK, I won’t be coy like most people who are tagged by this viral meme phenomenon :) I’ve been waiting for someone to tag me, gosh darn it! So thank you, thank you, thank you to Liesa for making my day.
Now, the obligatory recital of the rules:
- Each player starts with eight random facts/habits about themselves
- People who are tagged need to write a post on their own blog (about their eight things) and post these rules
- At the end of your blog, you need to choose eight people to get tagged and list their names
- Don’t forget to leave them a comment telling them they’re tagged, and to read your blog
Easy peasy, right? hmm no not really. So eight things you might not know about me:
- I’m a big car fan. I love everything about cars, owning, driving and drooling over them. I try not to let it go to my head most times since it’s an expensive hobby to have. My last car (my WRX) cost me a lot, in many ways. But I oh so loved driving it…rather too rapidly I must admit. My wife almost convinced me to try out for the host of the local version of Top Gear, which I would have loved but I don’t think I’d be a good TV presenter.
- I’m a big Prince fan. I have all his albums (yes, even the weird ones). Actually, I’ve got fairly eclectic musical tastes; metal, funk, hip-hop, rock, ska, country, blues, soul. About the only musical styles I don’t like are classical, opera, chick-rock and that rubbish pop-trying-to-be-punk that is so popular at the moment.
- I’m so looking forward to being a father. It may be some form of sympathy cluckiness that rubbed off from my wife, but nothing will make me happier than to welcome our first baby into the world in a few weeks.
- I can talk a lot. On my school report cards, teachers would comment on how quiet I was, something my parents couldn’t understand: they couldn’t shut me up at home. To this day, my wife says I have verbal diarrhoea.
- I wanted to be a designer (industrial or graphic). But towards the end of school I got distracted by the cult of getting the best marks (the influence of tragically upwardly-mobile friends) and focused on maths and science. I should have continued at subjects such as art and technical drawing, which I was good at. This sometimes shines through in my obsession with presentation over substance. Something I won’t let my kids do: forget what they are passionate about.
- I once learned to fly (in a plane not in my head). In fact I grew up around aircraft because my dad was into it, and cars, so it was only natural to give it a go. Didn’t really like the rules and regulations involved with day-to-day aviation—and I’m terrified of heights, so probably for the best I gave it up.
- I have a habit of suddenly taking to things I previously disliked with a passion. For example, beer, coffee, Apple Macs, tuna, Facebook. Not sure why this is, perhaps I don’t like being ‘with the crowd’ so I wait until later. I’m a late adopter (but I am a sneezer…what do you make of that Seth?).
- My favourite movies are Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, Snatch, High Fidelity, Sean of the Dead, The Abyss, Evil Dead 2, Ocean’s Eleven and Aliens. Generally I like comedies and science fiction. I am a bit of a Treckie too, but my wife is a bigger one!
A dubious selection of facts to be sure, but now for the spreading of the virus! (well something has to fill the void before 28 Months Later). So, Martyn, Peter, Cairo, Matt, Chris, Stephen, David and Joel…consider yourselves tagged. And I would have tagged Kieran, but he doesn’t have a blog per se (but he does have a knack for short stories).